25 April, 2008

Intellectual Voices

Another quick note on a blog that makes me smile.

Foreign Policy Magazine is asking you to help them rate the Top 100 Public Intellectuals. A collection of people who are affecting public life.

The criteria is simple: Candidates must be living and still active in public life. They must have shown distinction in their particular field as well as an ability to influence wider debate, often far beyond the borders of their own country.

That's it.

I voted (wouldn't you loved to know who for) and to be honest I did not know half the people on this list - which is quite depressing to me. But I press on, have a plethora of new people to learn about.

Here is a break down of the candidates:



I have my own thoughts on this map, but somehow Daniel Drezner says it best:

If political scientists -- perhaps, God forbid, American political scientists -- are the modal group in the category of powerful public intellectuals, then we are all officially f#$&ed.